Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baseball and the Catwalk?

As you all know it is New York Fashion week, and as I sit glued to the live stream on YouTube, my little brother is as equally attached to the television which is constantly playing the American pastime-baseball. Obviously my little brother doesn't understand why I am so intrigued by these beautiful runway shows, nor do I understand why watching one of the slowest sports alive is so exciting to him, but as New York fashion week comes to an end, I got my answer. Fashion to us women is like sports to men. Instead of famous athletes coming together to play their favorite game, amazing designers gather in a city and let the world see their talents. So it got me thinking- why can't men be as interested in fashion week as they are into sports? We all know they could benefit a lot more from watching the runway then from watching the game.

As I compare the thoughts that are filling my head- men and fashion, sports and runways, I instantly thought of two men that subconciously combinded the two, Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. Their menswear line for Spring 2013 that was shown this summer went back to their roots of Italy as baseball does in America. Dolce & Gabbana, in this recent collection titled moltissimo Sicily, utilized real men from all over Sicilian towns and villages, with just a sprinkle of male models, which needless to say, looked extremley out of place. Everything from the raw edges of the garments to the distressed look of the garments just felt so rough and real. The line featured layers of extremely fine wool, linen, and woven cotton, colored stripes and bold graphics. The had young men in slouchy trousers and a striped tank or relaxed fit shorts with a knit top. It wasn't your typical sleek menswear for Dolce & Gabbana, it was more.. relaxed, it was more relateable, it was more comfortable. I can't wait to see what they do next this month in Milan fashion week!


No comments:

Post a Comment